The History of Myers Memorial UMC

A Brief History

The church was organized as St. John’s Methodist Church in 1956 with Reverend Reginald Cooke serving as the first pastor. A building, including the George A Gray Chapel and nine church school rooms, was built in 1958 and an additional educational building was built in 1964. In 1971, the name of the church was changed to Myers Memorial United Methodist Church in honor of Mr. A.G. Myers, an outstanding Methodist businessman and philanthropist. The opening service for our sanctuary was held on March 10, 1985, with Bishop L Bevel Jones III conducting the consecration service in April of that year. In the fall of 1997, we added our CFC (Christian Fellowship Center), kitchen, staff offices plus renovations to our education building. In 2011, the bell tower and prayer room were completed.  In October of 2016 we celebrated our 60th year of mission and ministry in Gastonia.

 
 
Pastors Who Have Served Myers
Reginald James Cook……1956-1961
Floyd Doyle Freeman……1961-1963
Bobby S. Lyndon…………..1963-1965
Paul R. Berrier………………1965-1970
Kenneth A. Horn…………..1970-1973
Tom L. Cassady…………….1973-1977
Douglas R. Beard, Jr. …….1977-1981
Ralph L. Reed……………….1981-1984
Joseph C. McMurry……….1984-1994
Henry A. Justice …………..1994-1999
Thomas Latimer III………1999-2007
Ed Biggers……………………2007-2009
Clyde Penry………………….2009-2013
Sydnor Thompson………..2013-2016
Sally W. Queen……………..2016-Current

 

 

 

The Stained Glass Windows